Dubai RTA announces a new speed limit on a major road
Several roads in Dubai have had their speed reduced, and new air-conditioned rest areas for bicycles have been added, according to an urgent notice from the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority.
Speed Reduction on Al Ittihad Road:
Effective November 20, 2023, a section of Al Ittihad Road, spanning from the Emirate of Sharjah to the Al Garhoud Bridge, will witness a reduction in the legal speed limit. The primary aim is to enhance traffic flow and minimize road accidents in this critical area.
Simultaneously, Dubai Roads has unveiled plans for the establishment of 40 air-conditioned rest stops for cyclists. This initiative aims to elevate traffic safety, improve overall quality of life, and reduce the risk of accidents involving delivery bike drivers across the emirate.
Detailed Changes and Benefits:
1. Al-Ittihad Road Speed Reduction:
- Effective Date: November 20, 2023.
- Targeted Area: Al Ittihad Street between the Emirate of Sharjah and Al Garhoud Bridge.
- Purpose: Enhance traffic flow and reduce accidents.
2. Cyclist Rest Stops:
- Number of Rest Stops: 40
- Amenities: air conditioning, meal-serving gadgets, water dispensers, mobile phone charging stations, and light fixtures.
- Design Considerations: Emphasis on reducing sunlight impact, providing insulation, maintaining a clear view, and promoting compliance with traffic regulations.
- Capacity: Each rest stop can accommodate ten individuals.
- Parking Facilities: Adequate parking spots for motorbikes in close proximity.
Objectives and Impact:
The implementation of these measures aligns with the broader goals of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority:
- Enhance Traffic Safety: Speed reductions contribute to safer road conditions.
- Improve the Cyclist Experience: Air-conditioned rest stops aim to elevate the comfort and well-being of delivery bike drivers.
- Reduce Accidents: Both initiatives are designed to minimize the frequency of road accidents.
- Encourage Compliance: The cyclist rest stops incorporate features to promote adherence to traffic laws.
Dubai's commitment to road safety and the well-being of its residents is evident in these proactive measures. The integration of speed reductions and cyclist-friendly amenities reflects a comprehensive approach to creating a secure and efficient transportation system in the emirate.